Thu, Jan 10, 2013
Going to college is one of the most exciting times in many people’s lives. However, when people are looking for financial help for their education, it is essential for them to be extremely careful. There are several criminal scams that college students will want to avoid, and the following three are the most common today.
With the advent of the Internet, it has been very easy for shady businesses to market their wares. One online scam that students need to be aware of concerns scholarships. Many businesses offer easy access to various scholarships; however, most of them are simply scams. There are some ways to determine if scholarships are scams though, and they are as follows.
1. If a scholarship asks for any “fees”, it is a scam. No legitimate scholarship will ask for money for any reason at all. They also will not ask for credit card or bank account information.
2. If a business says that their scholarship is “exclusive” and information pertaining to it cannot be found anywhere else, it is a scam. Legitimate scholarships are typically listed with accredited colleges and universities.
3. If the scholarship comes out of the blue, it is likely a scam. Scholarships require some form of effort. Whether it is simply filling out an application or sending in an essay, students must put some kind of effort into obtaining a scholarship.
Online Degree Scams
More and more today there are many online sites that offer easy degrees that people can acquire in a very short time. The problem is that many of these sites are scams. While it may seem tempting to get a degree online, the following reasons are why people should think twice about enrolling in an online school.
1. Many employers will not recognize an online degree. In most cases, they will hire someone who obtained their degree from a traditional college or university over someone who got it from an online institution.
2. Many online schools have little to no support available. What this means is that if students have problems, there is little they can do to resolve them.
3. There have been many cases in which students did not receive lessons on time or even their diplomas and they could not do anything about it. Some of these schools simply want people’s money and will not give much in return.
Student Loan Scams
Another popular scam that is on the rise today is that of student loans. There are many businesses that will offer easy loans to fund people’s educations. However, what they do not divulge is that the interest rates are ridiculously high and almost impossible to pay back. In many cases, young people find themselves drowning in debt due to these “easy-qualifying” student loans.
As a general rule, the only student loans that are truly legit are those that are offered through the federal government. There are some legit private loans, but they are few and far between. Typically, legit student loans will offer varying grace periods in which graduates do not have to make any payments for some time after graduation.
If people are beginning college careers, it is essential that they are aware of the all-too common scams described above. While some of these scams may sound quite appealing, it is best for students to steer away from them. Starting a college career can be the most exciting time in anybody’s life if they do not fall prey to these scams.
Byline: After having seen the slew of legal issues that come along with being scammed, Ryan D decided to promote www.justcolleges.com, a site that helps students find legitimate, honest, accredited online colleges.